My guess is that you are here because the build instructions for Overviewer didn’t work for you. Here is what worked for me.
Note: This required some trial and error and I can’t easily start over to verify the steps. Please leave a comment letting me know if it worked for you or if it didn’t so I can make sure the instructions are as accurate as possible.
Note 2: Both overviewer and Mac OS X change over time, sometimes drastically. These instructions work today but there may be some other or different steps required as time passes.
- Install XCode from the App Store.
- Open the Terminal application. This will be under “Other” in Launchpad.
- Install the XCode command line tools
sudo xcode-select --install
- Get pip (pip is a package manager for python packages)
sudo easy-install pip
- Install Pillow (overviewer needs PIL, Pillow is a fork of PIL that provides the same funcitonality)
pip install Pillow
- Get the Pillow source files. Overviewer requires some header files for libimaging but Pillow doesn’t install them so we need to get them manually. Go to pypi.python.org/pypi/Pillow. Pip should have installed the latest version for you,
so click the the newest version and scroll down the page to find the source package. It should be Pillow-[version].tar.gz (as I am writing this, it is Pillow-4.1.1.tar.gz). Download that package somewhere on your system and unpack it. You’ll need to know where it is later.
- Make sure you have python2.7 and python2 symlinked to it
should give you the path to python2.7 (probably /usr/bin/python2.7. If you got something different, substitute yours if you need to make the symlink). Next do
If you don’t get anything back, you need to create the symlink:
sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/local/bin/python2
- Download and unpack the Overviewer source. You can find it at overviewer.org/downloads.
- In the terminal, cd to the Overviewer directory. You should be in the directory containing setup.py
- Build and install Overviewer. You will need the path to the libImaging directory in the Pillow sources you downloaded earlier
PIL_INCLUDE_DIR="/path/to/Pillow-[version]/libImaging" python2 setup.py build
This is where you are most likely to get an error. If you do, let me know in the comments and I’ll help if I can.
- Install Overviewer
sudo python2 setup.py install
And that should work